The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the DEPT usaclive channel, which can be accessed with a ucla.edu account.
- The council tabled voting on the 2018 USAC election calendar to next week and recommended the election board re-present the calendar after finalizing date adjustments.
- External Vice President Chloe Pan gave a presentation on the University of California tuition budget advocacy efforts, and said student leaders plan to advocate for increased funding from the state to prevent tuition hikes. She added they also plan to advocate against nonresident tuition hikes.
- The council appointed Beatrice Avancena, a first-year international development studies student, to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors.
- The council allocated $17,750 from the Contingency Programming Fund to various student groups that held events during weeks 7 and 8.
- The council allocated $1,800 from the Student Wellness Program fund to student groups.Officer Reports:
- Pan said applications for the 2018 UC Student Lobby Conference ended last week and added applicants will be notified of the results starting February 27th, 2018.
- She added her office is holding a Housing Insecurity Campaign event Friday to discuss homelessness as a local and federal political issue.
- Pan also said the Board of Neighborhood Commissioners has postponed its meeting with Westwood Forward till the end of the quarter. Westwood Forward is a coalition of students, homeowners and business owners advocating for a new neighborhood council for Westwood.
- Financial Supports Commissioner Aaron Boudaie said his office will host a social media workshop March 8 to teach students how to attract employers.
- Boudaie also said members of his office will head to San Francisco on March 12 to lobby for higher education funding.
- Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Lee said that the annual Bruin Run/Walk, an annual 5K benefiting the Chase Child Life Program at the UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital, will be held on April 29.
- Administrative Representative Rob Kadota said UCLA Housing Services released an email to students regarding new housing construction on the Hill starting in fall 2018.
- Jessica Alexander, division manager of student government services, said the school will not be renewing its OrgSync licenses, so the OrgSync website may not be active after June.
- The council approved a resolution calling on elected officials to stand in solidarity with UC students against the UC tuition hikes.
- The council tabled a vote to amend the bylaw governing Community Activities Committee appointments.
- The council approved a resolution to recognize and celebrate the service of Raja Bhattar, the director of the LGBT Campus Resource Center who is leaving their position.
- The council approved funding allocations from the USAC surplus to the various student groups, but decided to allow Student Government Accounting to retroactively allocate funding to student groups that did not receive funding because the council did not meet quorum last week.