Monday, December 17

Shareef O’Neal, son of Shaquille O’Neal, to join UCLA basketball next season

Coach Steve Alford’s 2018-2019 squad will include 6-foot-8 Shareef O’Neal, the son of four-time NBA champion Shaquille O’Neal (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin)

Shaquille O’Neal brought three straight NBA championships to Los Angeles nearly 15 years ago. This year, he’s bringing his son.

Shareef O’Neal, son of the NBA Hall of Famer, has committed to play for UCLA men’s basketball next season, 247sports.com reported. He decommitted from Arizona on Saturday, where he had signed a letter of intent on Nov. 16, Sports Illustrated reported.

His recommitment to the Bruins comes in wake of an FBI probe into Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller, who was caught discussing making a $100,000 payment for Bahamian basketball player Deandre Ayton to play for the Wildcats, according to ESPN.

Shaquille O’Neal was seen walking into the Mo Ostin Basketball Center on Tuesday morning.

Shareef O’Neal was ranked No. 29 in the 2018 ESPN 100 and is a four-star recruit from the Crossroads School in Santa Monica. He was ranked the nation’s No. 9 power forward.

The 6-foot-8 power forward will add more size to UCLA men’s basketball team next year, which already included 7-foot-1, five-star center Moses Brown from Archbishop Molloy High School in Briarwood, New York.

The Bruins boasted the nation’s No. 5 recruiting class prior to O’Neal’s commitment, but in 247sports.com’s updated ranking list, UCLA has secured the No. 3 spot, hurdling over teams such as Louisiana State and Kansas.

Assistant Sports editor

McCarthy is an assistant Sports editor for the men's tennis, women's soccer, track and field and men's volleyball beats. He was previously a reporter on the men's volleyball and men's water polo beats. McCarthy is a second-year English and history student from Atlanta, Georgia. He is an avid Tottenham Hotspur and Conor McGregor fan.