Hammer Museum receives $30 million donation to begin expansion project

The Hammer Museum announced its $180 million capital campaign to expand and renovate the museum’s space Thursday morning. The project is set to go on until 2020. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Andrew Warner

The Hammer Museum announced in a press release Thursday morning that it is taking steps toward a major renovation project, beginning with a $180 million capital campaign.

The Hammer received $30 million from philanthropists Lynda and Stewart Resnick – the largest donation in the museum’s history. The donation will help fund a two-year expansion and renovation of the Hammer’s building, which will be renamed the Lynda and Stewart Resnick Cultural Center. The museum also announced Thursday it received a $20 million donation from television producer and Hammer Museum board chair Marcy Carsey about a year ago, which kicked off its capital campaign.

The expansion and renovation project will add 40,000 square feet of space for the museum’s collection, exhibitions and public programs, increase gallery space by 60 percent and add 20,000 square feet of public space, according to the press release.

The Hammer Museum began renovating its third-floor exhibition spaces in 2017. Work is in progress to create a gallery space dedicated specifically to new media artwork. The gallery is set to open in June with the “Made in L.A. 2018” exhibition. Construction of new galleries and renovation of the museum’s entrance and lobby are set to continue until 2020.

The Hammer has raised more than $130 million dollars since Carsey’s donation, according to the release. Hammer Museum director Ann Philbin told the Los Angeles Times she believes the donations are a sign of philanthropic health throughout Los Angeles.

Andrew Warner | Daily Bruin senior staff
Andrew Warner is a Daily Bruin senior staff reporter. Warner was the editor of The Quad during the 2018-2019 school year and an assistant editor for the Music | Arts beat of Arts during the 2017-2018 school year. Before that, he was an Arts reporter during the 2016-2017 school year.