Sunday, April 22

UCLA dean appointed to Catholic Church’s academy of social science by pope

Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, dean of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, was appointed as Academician to the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences by Pope Francis, according to a university press release on Monday. (Courtesy of UCLA Newsroom)

A UCLA dean was recently appointed to the Catholic Church’s academy of social sciences.

Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, dean of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, was appointed as Academician to the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences by Pope Francis, according to a university press release Monday.

The Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, which was established by the Catholic Church in 1994, aims to promote the study and progress of the social sciences, according to the academy’s website.

Academicians are appointed for a 10-year term based on their contributions in the social sciences and come from various academic, national and religious backgrounds. They participate in sessions organized by the academy and present papers and data which are published by the academy.

Suárez-Orozco has conducted research on the mass migration of families and children, and currently leads an international interdisciplinary study on the health, education and legal protections of young migrants who were forcefully displaced. The Vatican first invited Suárez-Orozco to present his research on education more than 10 years ago, and he has contributed to various studies led by the Pontifical Academies.

Features & Student Life editor

Wang is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She was previously a news contributor for the City beat.