USAC recap – Feb. 6

By Grace Morgan

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated USAC created a new discretionary fund. In fact, it voted to distribute an existing discretionary fund among eight offices. It also incorrectly stated the USAC President's office and the General Representative 2's office film a video together. In fact, they hope to film a video together.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda:

• The council approved allocating $5,200 of its surplus funds to the Financial Supports Commission to purchase 100 additional i>clickers for its clicker loaner library, which currently contains 300 clickers that it purchased through fundraising and donations.
  • The council allocated a $16,000 discretionary fund to offices that do not have budgets for programming and advocacy.
  • The council approved funding requests for 13 different departments and allocated $6,239.50 from the Contingency Programming Fund to these requests. The council also split the $294.50 cost of last week’s town hall among the 14 offices.

Officer Reports:

• USAC President Arielle Yael Mokhtarzadeh said her office will be hosting the STEM Research Fair on Monday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Bruin Reception Room. Mokhtarzadeh said that the program aims to expose students to research labs that are looking to recruit students. She added if anyone knew labs that were looking for students, they can contact her office.
  • External Vice President Chloe Pan said that the UCLA Government and Community Relations, the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs and the Center for California Studies at California State University, Sacramento, are hosting the Speaker’s Lecture Series “California Exceptionalism” featuring Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon with panelists Frank Gehry, Judy Baca and Peter Sellars. The event will take place in Covel Commons in the Grand Horizon Room on Thursday from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
  • A proxy for General Representative 2 Kayla He said the office is holding an International Student Career Fair as part of the Hire UCLA Fair on April 18 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. outside Wilson Plaza. He added that councilmembers can reach out to the office if they know of any employers that would be interested in participating.
  • The proxy added that an International Cultural Night is being planned for week two of spring quarter. He said 55 organizations have confirmed their participation at the event.
  • General Representative 2’s office and the USAC President’s office may collaborate to film a video against the projected tuition hikes for out-of-state students.

Grace Morgan