Despite no singles victories, women’s tennis takes doubles championship

Redshirt sophomore Jada Hart made up one half of a doubles pair that won the ITA Regional Championships. Hart and her partner, junior Gabby Andrews, did not drop a set on the way to the title, which they locked up on Sunday at the University of San Diego. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Kelsey Angus

No Bruins were able to make it to the singles championship, but the doubles tournament was another story.

Eight members of the No. 23 UCLA women’s tennis team competed in the ITA Southwest Regional Championships that ran Oct. 19-23. All eight competed individually and as part of four doubles teams.

The second-seeded pair of junior Gabby Andrews and redshirt sophomore Jada Hart won the doubles championship Sunday and did not drop a set in route to the title. Andrews and Hart won the championship match 6-4, 6-2 over Natalie Da Silveira and Palina Dubavets, a duo from UC Santa Barbara.

En route to their title, Andrews and Hart faced the eighth-seeded fellow Bruin doubles pair of freshman Abi Altick and junior Alaina Miller. Andrews-Hart swept Altick-Miller 6-0, 6-1 to advance to the final and eventually win.

In the doubles competition, junior Ayan Broomfield was the Bruin who made it furthest in the competition. She made it to the semifinals before falling to top-seeded Ashley Lahey of Pepperdine on Sunday by scores of 6-7 (8), 6-2, 7-6 (6).

Hart’s singles run also ended against a Pepperdine athlete, as second-seeded Mayar Sherif took her out of the tournament 6-1, 6-2 in the round of eight.

Eighth-seeded senior Terri Fleming went out in the round of 16, and Altick and Andrews were ousted in the round of 32.

Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.