Implementation of UCPath at UCLA, medical services delayed by defects

The University of California Office of the President agreed to delay implementation of the UC’s new payroll system at two locations after discovering defects while testing the system. Only ASUCLA, UC Merced and UC Riverside will implement the system in December. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jacob Preal

The University of California Office of the President is delaying implementation of a new payroll system at UCLA and UCLA medical services.

UC Payroll, Academic Personnel, Timekeeping and Human Resources project, a uniform center for managing payroll across the UC’s campuses, will now only launch at Associated Students UCLA, UC Merced and UC Riverside, said Scott Waugh, executive vice chancellor and provost, in an email to UCLA faculty and staff Thursday.

UCOP planned to launch the program at five campus locations, including at UCLA and UCLA medical services, in December 2017, after it was delayed from an August 2017 launch date to allow for more testing. UCPath is currently implemented only at UCOP.

[Related: UC disputes state audit report on new payroll system costs]

UC spokesperson Claire Doan said in an email statement that by late October, UCLA will provide a new date to implement the system. Doan added the UC will devote UCPath’s resources to ensuring the program’s success at UC Merced, UC Riverside and ASUCLA in December.

Waugh said because UCLA discovered defects while testing the program, the campus recommended UCOP focus its resources on implementing UCPath at UC Merced, UC Riverside and ASUCLA first. He added he thinks deferring the program’s deployment at UCLA will ensure its success at the other locations.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.