UCLA to lower speed limit on all campus roadways

UCLA’s campuswide speed limit will drop from 25 to 20 mph starting Sept. 26. UCLA Transportation said it wanted to make campus safer for pedestrians and bicyclists. (Daniel Leibowitz/Daily Bruin)

By Jacob Preal

This article was updated Sept. 26 at 2:46 p.m.

UCLA will be lowering its on-campus speed limit from 25 to 20 mph starting Tuesday.

UCLA Transportation announced Monday it is lowering UCLA’s campuswide speed limit as part of its “20 is Plenty” campaign, which promotes safety for campus pedestrians and bicyclists. The new speed limit will apply to all roadways on campus.

The “20 is Plenty” campaign will help reduce the chances of serious injuries caused by vehicle accidents because slower moving vehicles are less likely to cause such accidents, according to a UCLA Transportation website.

“There’s good research, which shows if there is a collision between a pedestrian and a vehicle, then the speed really matters,” said David Karwaski, senior associate director of UCLA Transportation.

Karwaski said he thinks there is no reason for drivers to go fast in a campus environment, where many students are walking and skateboarding to their destinations.

Previously, UCLA reduced the speed limit in its roadways from 35 to 25 mph in 2005, according to a UCLA Transportation website.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.