Football needs to prevail against Cardinal run game, veteran defense

Stanford running back Bryce Love is second in the country with 524 yards in the first three games of the season. Stopping Love will be key to UCLA’s success Saturday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Vikram Sairam

Ten­ – that’s how many consecutive losses against Stanford there will be if UCLA loses Saturday.

Both teams are coming off losses to unranked opponents outside of the Power Five conferences. UCLA lost to Memphis in a 48-45 shootout, and San Diego State beat Stanford 20-17. The Bruins are playing their first conference game of the season while the Cardinal look to seek their first win in conference play after losing to the No. 5 USC Trojans 42-24 Sept. 9.

The Bruins have a huge task ahead of them if they want to break the Cardinal curse. Expect Stanford coach David Shaw’s bunch to rally against UCLA after an unexpected 1-2 start to the season. Here’s a breakdown of Stanford’s offensive and defensive schemes heading into Saturday’s matchup at Stanford Stadium.

Stanford’s Offense

Base formations: Multiple

Run/Pass Ratio: 49/51

Strengths: Outside run game

Weaknesses: Lack of playmaking receiver

X Factor: Junior running back Bryce Love

Don’t be fooled by Stanford’s slow start. While this unit might not be as strong as some of the Cardinal teams of the past, this is still a well-oiled machine that will run the ball effectively. Its offensive line only loses one starter from last year and features a six-man rotation that boasts a combined 55 starts from last season.

Quarterback Keller Chryst took over as the Cardinal’s starting quarterback for the last six games of the season. Stanford finished the 2016 season 6-0 with him under center, but his role was limited in an offense that featured arguably the best running back in college football last year: Christian McCaffrey.

Chryst threw two interceptions against San Diego State on Sept. 16 with 9-20 passing for 72 yards and no touchdowns.

That being said, Stanford’s run game might be the most prolific in the entire NCAA ­– and it’s all because of Bryce Love. Watching him against USC on Sept. 9 was like watching McCaffrey 2.0. While he might not be the pass-catching or all-purpose threat that McCaffrey was, he has incomparable speed.

Love clocks in somewhere around the 4.3 range in the 40-yard dash, and was a national-record-breaking track star in his youth. He has put up gaudy numbers in his first three games, rushing for 180, 160 and 184 yards respectively. Those stats come on just a total of 43 attempts, giving him an average of 12 yards a carry – not to mention four touchdowns.

The reason Love excels is the traditional Shaw unbalanced power and counter runs. He and offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren run a multitude of schemes in which the offensive tackles line up next to each other on one side, with a tight end taking the place of the missing tackle on the other side. The feature back pulls toward the dominant side and follows his blockers until he has the outside gap open.

Watch them run an unbalanced power toss here in which Love bursts through a huge hole created by the line.

via GIPHY

Stanford doesn’t have a playmaking receiver as it did in the past in Ty Montgomery or Austin Hooper. Chryst will most likely distribute the wealth to a committee of receivers consisting of Trenton Irwin, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Connor Wedington and Dalton Schultz. It will be key for the Bruins to stop the run and force Chryst to take over the game.

UCLA has struggled against the run so far in 2017, having already let four opposing backs rush for over 100 yards – all of whom averaged over five yards a carry on at least 14 carries or more. Love has the most playmaking ability of any of the backs UCLA has faced thus far.

This season, he has busted runs of 53, 62 and 75 yards – all happening in different games. Check out this clip against USC.

via GIPHY

Love is currently second in the country in total rushing yards with 524. The front seven must account for him at all times or he will make explosive plays.

Stanford’s Defense

Base Formation: 3-4

Blitz Tendency: Heavy

Strengths: Veterans with big game experience

Weaknesses: Stopping the run

X Factor: Senior defensive tackle Harrison Phillips

Stanford’s defense is off to a shaky start this season despite bringing back nine starters. They gave up 42 points to USC on Sept. 9 and allowed two of their backs to rush for over 100 yards, not to mention Trojan quarterback Sam Darnold’s 316 through the air. Against San Diego State, Stanford gave up 175 yards rushing to Rashaad Penny – the nation’s current leading rusher.

So while the defense has not performed well, they have undoubtedly faced some very difficult competition. Running out of the 3-4 scheme, nose tackle Harrison Phillips is a force to be reckoned with and has been playing at an extremely high level three games into 2017. He has notched 26 tackles, one sack and knows how to wrap up and stop the run.

He goes by “Horrible Harry” for his disruptive plays in the backfield. Look at him – No. 66 – stuff Penny last week forcing a pivotal third down for the Aztecs’ offense.

via GIPHY

UCLA’s offensive line only gave up one sack in last week’s contest against Memphis, but quarterback Josh Rosen was still hurried four times and continued to have to make plays while scrambling – even rushing for 32 yards on seven carries.

However, the running game has seen some signs of revitalization with junior running back Bolu Olorunfunmi rushing for 77 yards on 13 carries last week, in addition to Brandon Stephens breaking a 36-yard run.

Stanford also brings back a veteran secondary group as well as all four of its starting linebackers. Bobby Okereke stands out in this group with 17 tackles and one sack in just two games after missing the season opener against Rice. The senior started all 13 games last year and is considered one of Stanford’s most athletic and physical players on defense.

Here’s him – No. 20 – making a quick read on the offensive line’s formation and shooting the gap for a big hit on USC running back Stephen Carr on Sept. 9.

via GIPHY

Despite a veteran defense, Stanford struggled to stop a physical run game led by USC’s Ronald Jones II and Carr, and subsequently against San Diego State’s Penny. The Bruins will be missing the likes of senior running back Nate Starks, who could miss the rest of the season with an injury to his medial collateral ligament suffered against Memphis.

UCLA will definitely look for junior running back Soso Jamabo to return, as coach Jim Mora said he is on the cusp of being able to play. Expect sophomore running back Jalen Starks to get carries as well. Both teams have had trouble stopping the run – whoever wins the battle between the trenches will very well determine the victor in this matchup.

Vikram Sairam | Alumnus
Sairam joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. He spent time on the football, women's soccer and track and field beats.