UC regents recap – Sept. 14

(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sharon Zhen

The governing board of the University of California met for the last day of its September meeting at UC San Diego on Thursday. The Board of Regents discussed the previous two days’ committee meetings and approved the actions committees voted on during Wednesday’s meeting.

Board of Regents

• The board approved a 3 percent increase for most chancellors’ salaries in a 10-6 vote. Regent Paul Monge said he thinks it is inappropriate for the board to raise chancellor salaries when students are facing potential tuition increases and staff are facing cuts in retiree benefits.
  • The board appointed Regent Ellen Tauscher as the next chair of the Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore national laboratories, replacing Regent Norman Pattiz.
  • Charles Robinson, general counsel and vice president of legal affairs, said Christopher Patti, UC Berkeley’s chief campus counsel who died last month in hit-and-run crash, was one of the best lawyers he has worked with, and said they first met when they worked at the same law firm during the 1980s. Robinson added that Patti was a respectful and humble person.
  • UC Student Association President Judith Gutierrez, who was elected to her position in August, said she hopes the regents take steps to protect undocumented students, workers and families.

Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.