California passes ‘sanctuary state’ bill to protect undocumented residents

(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Madeleine Pauker and Rupan Bharanidaran

California legislators passed a bill early Saturday morning to protect the state’s undocumented residents from federal immigration authorities.

California’s state Senate voted 27-11 to approve Senate Bill 54, unofficially known as the “sanctuary state” bill, which limits state and local authorities from working with federal agencies to enforce immigration law. The bill also prevents local law enforcement from asking individuals about their immigration status or arresting individuals on civil immigration warrants.

However, jail officers are allowed to assist federal agencies if an undocumented individual has been convicted of certain crimes. This provision to the bill was added as part of a compromise between Gov. Jerry Brown and state legislative leaders earlier this week.

In November 2016, the University of California issued a Statement of Principles in support of undocumented students, stating that campus police officers will not work with federal agencies to enforce immigration law.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.