LA to host 2028 Summer Olympics, athletes to use UCLA facilities

Athletes will be using UCLA campus facilities, including Pauley Pavilion, during Los Angeles’ 2028 Summer Olympic Games. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

Los Angeles is now officially set to host the 2028 Summer Olympic Games, following a vote by the International Olympic Committee on Wednesday.

Los Angeles, which will be using UCLA campus facilities during the games, declared candidacy for the 2028 Olympics in July. Although the city originally intended to host the games in 2024, following an agreement with the IOC, the city agreed to host the games in 2028 instead, with Paris hosting in 2024.

As part of the agreement, the IOC will contribute $1.8 billion toward youth sports programs in Los Angeles.

Athletes will be using UCLA facilities such as Pauley Pavilion and the Los Angeles Tennis Center during the games, bid organizers said. Los Angeles likely will also use facilities from other college campuses, including the University of Southern California’s Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, to carry out the games.

Olympic athletes and support personnel will live on the Hill during the 2028 Games and train at Drake Stadium, according to the bid book. Athletes will use the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California for medical services.

As part of the bid, Metro is expediting its construction projects, including the Purple Line Extension to Westwood.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a presentation to the IOC that the city is glad to host the games for a third time.

“This is a momentous day for the people of Los Angeles and the United States,” he said. “For the first time in a generation, we are bringing the games back to the City of Angels.”

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.