UCLA ranked as top public university nationwide in new report

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked UCLA 15th worldwide, ahead of UC Berkeley, which ranked 18th. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sharon Zhen

A 2017-2018 report published Wednesday ranked the UCLA as the nation’s top public university.

Times Higher Education, a magazine that reports on higher education, published their World University Rankings report Wednesday, which ranked UCLA 15th in the world, a drop from 14th last year. It ranked UC Berkeley 18th in the world this year. However, Times ranked UCLA as the top public university in the United States.

The rankings are judged by performance indicators across fields of teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry outcome.

The report used reputation surveys to assess institutions’ prestige in teaching and research. The report also took into account universities’ incomes from research and industry to determine the university’s ability to attract funding from commercial sources. Other factors the report took into account include the proportion of student and academic staff and the percentage of international students in the university.

Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.