UCLA Athletics partners with Red Cross to aid Hurricane Harvey relief

Fans at UCLA’s home opener against Texas A&M will be encouraged to donate to the American Red Cross throughout the game to help the Hurricane Harvey relief effort. (Creative Commons photo by Bobak Ha’Eri)

By Nicholas Yekikian

Aug. 31, 2017 10:41 a.m.

UCLA Athletics and the Rose Bowl will partner with the American Red Cross Los Angeles Region to fundraise for those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

At Sunday’s football season opener in Pasadena, California, fans in attendance will be able to donate to the Red Cross via text message to support Hurricane Harvey relief. UCLA and Texas A&M football players will wear a helmet decal to raise awareness of those affected by the storm.

“Our hearts go out to all of those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and beyond,” said UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero in a press release. “It’s easy to feel helpless at a time like this, but when we come together and use the platform of sports for what really matters, our collective power to make a difference is far more impactful than we could have imagined.”

The Rose Bowl plans to make a series of announcements throughout the game prompting fans to text keyword “HARVEY” to 75759 to donate to the American Red Cross’ relief efforts. Donations collected by the American Red Cross will go toward warm meals and shelter to those affected by Hurricane Harvey.

UCLA encourages fans to donate before Sunday’s game by visiting redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED-CROSS or texting the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

UCLA Athletics also contributed to relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Contact Yekikian at [email protected] or tweet him at @nickkwhyy

Nicholas Yekikian | Alumnus
Yekikian joined the Bruin as a junior transfer in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the softball, men's soccer, women's volleyball, track and field, cross country and rowing beats.