National Weather Service issues extreme heat warning for Los Angeles

By Jacob Preal

Los Angeles will keep seeing high temperatures through most of the weekend, weather officials said.

The National Weather Service issued an extreme weather alert Thursday, warning Los Angeles residents of excessive heat expected to continue through 10 p.m. Saturday. The alert said Los Angeles County will likely see temperature highs between 95 and 105 degrees Fahrenheit, with Friday being the warmest day.

Beaches in Los Angeles County are expected to see highs in the 80s to mid 90s.

Areas throughout Los Angeles, including the Westwood area and Santa Monica, experienced isolated thunderstorms and showers Thursday evening, according to the NWS’s website. There is a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms and showers continuing through Friday morning.

The NWS warns of heat-related illnesses, including those that are life-threatening, during the excessive heat period and advises residents to enter warm areas like their vehicles with caution. The NWS also advises residents to reduce their amount of strenuous work in the sun, frequently take breaks when working outside and stay hydrated.

If anyone is overcome by heat, they should immediately be moved to to a cool location. Heatstroke is considered an emergency, and residents should call 911, according to the NWS.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.