Thursday, November 23

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center ranked seventh best hospital in U.S.

UCLA was ranked the seventh best hospital in the country and placed on the ranking's Honor Roll. (Daily Bruin file photo)

The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center was ranked as the seventh best hospital in the nation in an annual Best Hospitals ranking released earlier this month by the U.S. News & World Report.

UCLA was ranked No. 1 in Los Angeles and No. 2 in California. The new ranking dropped Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center from fifth place nationally last year.

UCLA was nationally ranked in 25 specialties and ranked highest in ear, nose and throat, geriatrics, urology and ophthalmology.

The U.S. News & World Report reviewed and ranked 4,500 medical centers’ performance in 16 specialties and nine common procedures. The rankings are based on various factors, such as nurse staffing, patient survival and safety, the number of times a procedure is performed and infection rates.

The top 20 hospitals that demonstrate high ranking performance across multiple specialties and procedures are placed on the Honor Roll, which has included UCLA for 28 consecutive years.

Features & Student Life editor

Wang is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She was previously a news contributor for the City beat.

• Russ Farnsworth

UCLA is a horrible health institution! I don’t understand how they keep getting good reviews while they have an F rating for patient safety. I am in a group of several people who were harmed by UCLA doctors installing medical hardware that was not FDA approved, “losing” our medical records and botching our surgeries. We are trying to warn people and this kind of insider BS is going to harm a lot of people. It’s reminiscent of the agencies giving worthless mortgage securities a AAA rating just before the 2008 economic collapse.