Westwood cafe temporarily shut down due to vermin on premises

Public health officials temporarily closed down Elysee Bakery & Cafe when they discovered unspecified vermin in the restaurant. (Michael Zshornack/Photo editor)

By Jacob Preal

This post was updated Aug. 16 at 8:11 p.m.

Public health officials ordered the temporary closure of a cafe in Westwood because they discovered cockroaches in the building.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials suspended the public health permit of Elysee Bakery & Cafe and ordered its closure when they discovered cockroaches on the premises during a routine inspection Aug. 9.

Public health officials returned to the restaurant Friday and Saturday for subsequent reinspections, but ordered the restaurant to remain closed because they still found vermin, according to a report from Los Angeles Environmental Health Division.

Public health officials have since reinstated the restaurant’s public health permit after health inspectors found no trace of vermin in a reinspection Tuesday morning.

Public health officials gave Elysee Bakery a B rating during the initial inspection, with minor violations because of some alleged unsanitized food contact surfaces and improper hot and cold holding temperatures for food items, according to records in an online database hosted by the Department of Public Health. Elysee Bakery only received a major violation for vermin on the premises.

The restaurant was otherwise in good retail practice, according to the online inspection record.

Public health officials are scheduled to return to inspect the building Aug. 29 to check food temperatures, according to the official inspection report.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.