Social Justice Advocates program persists despite facing criticism

Social Justice Advocates, a UCLA Residential Life project that holds workshops on diversity and inclusion topics, is facing criticism from conservative groups. (Kristie Hoang/Daily Bruin)

By Sharon Zhen

A social justice advocacy group on campus plans to continue with its work despite backlash from conservative websites.

Social Justice Advocates, a UCLA Residential Life project that holds workshops on diversity and inclusion topics, has been criticized by conservative websites for paying students to hold workshops. In addition, when the program was accepting applications for new advocates in April, it received a few fake applications from individuals criticizing the program.

Bernardette Pinetta, a fourth-year political science student who helped found the program, said she thinks the student advocates in the program deserve their $250 per quarter stipend because they take time out of their schedules to create workshops. She added she thinks the program is important because it creates a space where students can talk together and share their experiences.

Aleeyah Mithavayani, a social justice advocate and first-year neuroscience student, said that although she was disheartened by the fake applications, she still believes she is doing the right thing.

“As our adviser said, ‘If people are giving you backlash, you’re doing something right,'” Mithavayani said. “It was horrible what people were writing in, (but) at least people know our program is out there, and we’re not backing down, and we know what we stand for.”

In May, the University of Arizona faced backlash for hiring social justice advocates whose responsibilities included reporting “bias incidents” on campus to their residential life staff.

Despite having the same position name, UCLA’s program is different from the University of Arizona’s because it focuses on holding workshops and discussions and does not have a “bias reporting” component, Pinetta said.

“We understand people come from different walks of life and will share different things that may or may not align with my ideas,” she said. “(A reporting system like the University of Arizona’s) defeats the purpose of people willing to engage on these topics.”

For example, Anzor Komok, a social justice advocate and third-year political science student, said he helped organize a workshop titled “Social Justice Myths” to dispel myths and perceptions students may have about social justice.

“(We wanted) to break down certain myths that people might hold,” he said. “For example, some might say that just because marriage equality was passed, homophobia’s over.”

Komok said the goal of the workshops is for students to open their minds to different ideas, not to force them to adopt certain beliefs.

Pinetta said the program does not aim to police speech and thought, but instead tries to create a safe space where students can discuss opinions without facing backlash.

“It’s a safe space – someone may come and say something that hurts me but I want people to think everyone’s coming with best intentions,” she said. “A safe space should give people the courage to say what they feel and share their experiences.”

Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.