The Quad: UCLA students share thoughts on the Daily Bruin’s presence on campus

The students of UCLA have some thoughts about their resident newspaper. (Michael Zshornack/ Assistant Photo editor)

By Sravya Jaladanki

The Daily Bruin is UCLA’s independent student newspaper. We aim to serve the student body as accurately and effectively as we can by providing the community with important news updates, including covering Undergraduate Students Association Council elections and last fall’s post-national election protests. With 14 editorial sections and over 400 staffers, we work hard to make the paper the best it can be. I wanted to get input from our audience, so I decided to ask UCLA students to share some of their thoughts on the paper.

“The Daily Bruin is a good news source for UCLA students because it gives us the perspective we want on current events.”

-Megan Haddad, a second-year history student

“I think they have relevant stories that are good for students to know.”

-Jake Kent, a third-year business economics student

“The Daily Bruin is a great and convenient resource for students to keep up-to-date with campus news and activities.”

-Kayla Mashoudy, a second-year psychobiology student

“The Daily Bruin is quick to report on events. It’s nice to hear a news update soon after it happens.”

-Claire Huestis, a third-year mechanical engineering student

“It’s a good source of information that not enough people use to balance out the effort placed into making it.”

-Shilin Patel, a second-year computer science student

“I don’t read the Daily Bruin because there is a lack of critical discussion.”

-Kyle Citko, a third-year economics student

“The Daily Bruin is what quickly and reliably informs me of what’s happening on campus. One event in particular that I might not have known about without the Daily Bruin is the USAC gang-sign scandal.”

-Cameron Porter, a first-year political science student

“As a past member of the Copy team, it’s really impressive to me that the Daily Bruin still manages to publish every day, considering the sheer amount of work that goes into each paper. Although the frequency of the paper can make it difficult to ensure that each issue is thoroughly captivating, the recent focus on special topics (like the “Cannabis Kingdom” issue) has bolstered my interest in the Daily Bruin. I really hope that the DB staff continues to publish issues like this in the future.”

-Christina Gurdzhyan, a third-year anthropology student

“They cover cool and relatable stuff, but don’t have enough outreach. I can only find out what’s going on around campus if I specifically want to go and look at the Daily Bruin. I hope they can implement notifications on their mobile app or something to keep us passively engaged like other popular news sources do.”

-Vaibhav Aggarwal, a first-year computer science student

“The Daily Bruin is a great way for students to identify with the campus and connect with peers. It develops a strong sense of unity and school pride.”

-Neil Parikh, a third-year biology and economics student

Sravya Jaladanki