Monday, September 25

UCLA researchers awarded funding to provide care for youth HIV

Mary Rotheram-Borus (far left), former director of the Center for HIV Identification, Prevention and Treatment Services, will head an initiative to study and develop treatment for HIV-positive youth. (UCLA Newsroom)

This post was updated June 2 at 11:20 p.m.

A multiuniversity project led by UCLA researchers received $20 million from the federal government Friday to provide services for teenagers and young adults who have been diagnosed or are at risk for HIV.

The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development awarded the grant to help the researchers study how well services such as clinical care and monitoring prevent new infections and increase the quality of life for young people with HIV.

The project plans to treat HIV infection with aggressive care, compare standard clinical care with more personalized strategies and provide preventive care for young people without HIV.

Researchers on the project will recruit study participants through community-based organizations, such as those that work with homeless or previously incarcerated youth.

Mary Rotheram-Borus, a center director in Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, will lead the five-year project, which will collaborate with teams from Columbia University and UC San Francisco, among other universities, to focus on youth in Los Angeles and New Orleans.

Assistant News Editor

Leou is the assistant news editor for the National and Higher Education beat. He covers University of California system-wide news, protests, unions, as well as state, national, or international news relevant to UCLA students.