USAC recap – May 24

By Kalei Aricayos

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special presentations

• Financial Supports Commissioner Aaron Boudaie gave a presentation on his office’s platform to create a Parking Advocacy Task Force that advocates for affordable parking options and more transportation for commuters.
  • A representative from the California Public Interest Research Group presented their annual report to council members on their accomplishments and future plans.

Agenda

• The council allocated $12,620 from the Contingency Programming Fund to various student groups.
  • The council allocated $7,726.25 from the Contingency Capital Items Fund to four student organizations.
  • The council approved to allocate $336 by consent from the Student Wellness Programming Fund.
  • The council postponed the Campus Retention Committee appointment to next week so council members have more time to review the application.
  • The council discussed collaborating with other campus entities to create an open space forum fall quarter for students to discuss freedom of speech on campus.
  • The council unanimously voted to approve Office Space Allocation Committee allocations.
  • The council unanimously approved to change the USAC bylaws to amend the role of the Financial Supports commissioner, who will now be responsible for improving affordability, financial literacy and financial wellness.
  • The council discussed their summer meeting schedule, and unanimously voted to hold their first summer meeting July 18. They also lowered quorum to eight members for the summer.

Officer reports

• USAC President Arielle Yael Mokhtarzadeh said her office’s application is due Friday and added she hopes to diversify the applicant pool.
  • External Vice President Chloe Pan said she attended the UC Regents meeting last week and plans to issue a public statement calling Chancellor Gene Block to endorse fossil fuel divestments.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Divya Sharma said the transfer scholarships will be released by next week. Sharma added his office plans to host a global leadership conference and create an academic and equity conference in the fall.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Lee said her office is hosting a panel on intersectionality next week and a Love Your Body event June 6.
  • Facilities Commissioner Zahra Hajee said she is planning to meet with various administrations this week to discuss utilizing outdoor spaces on campus.
  • Financial Supports Commissioner Aaron Boudaie said his office appointed two chiefs of staff for his office and will continue to appoint members of his office this week.
  • General Representative 2 Kayla He said the International Student Association is hosting a World In-Sight event May 31.
Kalei Aricayos