UCLA receives SCAG sustainability award for BruinBikeSmart program

Cited cyclists may choose to take a bicycle safety course, which takes about an hour to complete, once every 12 months instead of receiving a punitive mark on their driving record. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Madeleine Pauker

UCLA received a sustainability award from an urban planning association for a campus bicycle safety program the university started in October.

The Southern California Association of Governments recognized the UCLA Transportation on May 4 for the BruinBikeSmart program, which allows campus cyclists who receive a citation to complete an online safety course for $75 rather than pay a citation fee upward of $300.

UCLA was awarded for the Active Transportation category in 2017 SCAG Sustainability Awards, which honors projects that improve mobility, livability and sustainability in Southern California. SCAG is the largest metropolitan planning organization in the United States and represents more than 18.5 million people in six Southern California counties.

Under the program, cited cyclists may choose to take the course, which takes about an hour to complete, once every 12 months instead of receiving a punitive mark on their driving record.

David Karwaski, senior associate director of UCLA Transportation, told the Daily Bruin in September that the Los Angeles Superior Court cooperated with UCPD and UCLA Transportation on this program because it was overwhelmed with citation cases.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.