ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – May 19

By Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive reports

• ASUCLA Executive Director Bob Williams said the Student Union will conduct a three-day full inventory at the end of the academic year, which will provide accurate numbers to confirm sale projections.
  • He added the BearWear has started photoshoots for their catalogue, and will have sample pictures available mid-June.
  • Williams also said the Student Union plans to address food insecurity by partnering with the Community Programs Office and donating to the CPO Food Closet program.
  • Williams said ASUCLA will hold in-store and online sales for alumni members in June.
  • He said there continues to be delays in opening the veteran and transfer center due to flooring construction, but added it is getting closer to completion.
  • Williams said ASUCLA has been discussing ways to add more space focused on student needs. For example, he said ASUCLA may use the old loading dock space for student facilities.
  • Graduate student representative J.C. De Vera said the Personnel Committee met twice to talk about the executive director selection process, and has compiled input from board members. The committee will hold another brief meeting today to address future action items.
  • The Branding Ad-Hoc Committee said it finalized new taglines for ASUCLA, and reviewed the mock-up designs with the board during its meeting.

Financial statements

• Williams said ASUCLA has experienced a decline in sales from its bookstores. He said he thinks this is because more students are finding cheaper alternatives to buy their textbooks.
  • Williams added that although sales contributions from the ASUCLA bookstore and food services were low, overall sales performance was good, reaching more than $113,000 in April.
  • Restaurants in the A-Level of Ackerman Union had high sales, and Williams added Taco Bell has seen an increase of about $50,000 in sales compared to last year’s reports.
  • He added this month’s sale trends are looking consistent compared to last year’s May sales, where there was neither a decline nor growth in sales.

Action items

• The board unanimously approved to increase the budget for fixing expansion joints in Ackerman.
Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim
Kim is the assistant news editor for the campus politics beat. She was previously a contributor for the beat.