EDI office to accept applications for student advisory board

Vice Chancellor Jerry Kang created the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion’s student advisory board in 2016 to receive student input on campus climate issues. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

Vice Chancellor Jerry Kang is looking for three to five more students to the advise his office on campus climate issues.

Kang announced in an email to students Friday that the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will be accepting applications to serve on its student advisory board for the next academic year. Kang created the board in May 2016 and 13 students served on the board this past year.

Kang said students on the board will serve as “advisers, liaisons and problem solvers.” Students on the board are expected to provide input on the office’s work using their personal perspectives, and collaborate with different campus communities. Kang added the EDI office will train students on various laws and policies related to discrimination and bias.

“The (student advisory board) is the student ‘brain trust’ for EDI,” Kang said in the email.

Students on the board will not be compensated and will be required to attend monthly meetings. The board members may also have the chance to develop and participate in projects related to diversity and inclusion.

Applications for the student positions will be accepted beginning June 9 until July 7. Students are required to submit a statement of interest and a reference letter with the application.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.