USAC recap – May 2

By Sharon Zhen

This post was updated May 3 at 11:45 p.m.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Public comments

• Students from campus organizations such as Afrikan Student Union protested Danny Siegel and the Bruins United slate regarding a picture of Siegel holding up a gang sign. Students and council members negotiated to suspend USAC bylaws and extend public comments indefinitely. Public comments lasted more than 90 minutes, an hour longer than the usual limit.

Agenda

• The council moved to appoint Leann Pham, a second-year psychology and political science student, to the Judicial Board, after a vote of 12-0-0.

Officer reports

• Rafi Sands, external vice president, spoke to University of California President Janet Napolitano regarding a UC-wide council amendment survey.
  • Ashly Mohankumar, Academic Affairs Commissioner, has finalized dates for Academic Senate appointments. She added a session meeting will be held in Humanities A16 on May 18.
  • Christina Lee, Student Wellness commissioner, said Bruin Health Week raised more than $70,000 for the Chase Child Life Program at the UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital. Lee added Active Minds is collecting art related to mental health for their annual “Piece of Mind” art exhibition and submissions are due by May 25.
  • Sandra Rhee, Facilities commissioner, said her office has invested $1,000 to improve its texting service. She added the transportation services advisory meeting board is set for the CSO van service.
  • Jordan Dang, Campus Events commissioner, said he partnered with CAC on a Resistance and Resilience Film Fest Screening in the Bruin Reception Room. His office has also been working with the Student Wellness Commission to create a fitness festival on May 8 and fitness concert on May 17.
  • Zoe Borden, general representative 1, said a new scholarship page is accessible under students’ MyUCLA finances and jobs tab that will connect people to donor scholarships, merit scholarships and alumni scholarships. She added information on graduate and postdoctoral funding sources will also be available.
  • Inan Chowdury, general representative 3, said Sigma C.H.A.I. will hold a workshop on storytelling next Thursday.
  • Divya Sharma, transfer student representative, said his office is working to create programs for alumni nights, and scholarships will be available Week 6.He added there will be two $1,000 and four $500 scholarships available. He also said his office is trying to secure 10 more parking permits for transfer students.
  • Zack Dameron, Community Service commissioner, criticized other council members for going through their officer reports and not addressing the public comments made earlier that evening. He added he stands in solidarity with black Bruins and black communities in Los Angeles.

Announcements

• The Arts Restoring Community fund approved all requests of $73,434.71, and $33,669.85 were allocated, said Amy Shao, Cultural Affairs commissioner. She added all $150,137 were allocated for cultural programming.

New business

• Students and other council members demanded Siegel resign and admit that his actions were racist. Borden defended Siegel and reminded people that council members are still humans and make mistakes. Siegel said he will not resign and stated his actions were racist after multiple attempts to adjourn the meeting were rebuffed by council until he said the phrase.
Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.