Ziggy Marley to receive lifetime achievement award at Spring Sing

Jamaican singer Ziggy Marley will receive an award at Spring Sing on May 19. (Creative Commons photo by Bruce Tuten via Flickr)

By Lindsay Weinberg and Nate Nickolai

Reggae artist Ziggy Marley will receive a lifetime achievement award at Spring Sing 2017.

On Tuesday, the Student Alumni Association and UCLA Alumni Association named Marley the 2017 recipient of the George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement.

Marley, the son of music legend Bob Marley, has earned eight Grammy Awards for his work. After performing with his siblings in the Melody Makers, Marley released his first solo album “Dragonfly” in 2003 and launched his self-titled album in 2016.

The Who’s Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey won the award last year. In 2015, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Anthony Kiedis accepted the award and performed on stage at the annual talent show Spring Sing.

This year’s award aims to showcase different types of musicians, because winners are often from rock or pop genres, said Kristen Wolf, SAA’s public relations executive director. Spring Sing organizers were not immediately available for comment on Marley’s selection.

The annual award is named after composer George Gershwin and lyricist Ira Gershwin. In 1936, the duo adapted the Bruin fight song “Strike Up the Band for UCLA.”

In addition to a cappella and group performances, Spring Sing will feature three bands, two duets and four soloists on May 19 at Pauley Pavilion.

Lindsay Weinberg | prime content editor
Weinberg is the prime content editor. She was previously the A&E editor and the assistant A&E editor for the lifestyle beat.
Nate Nickolai | A&E editor
Nickolai is the A&E editor. He was previously the assistant A&E editor for the Lifestyle beat and an A&E reporter.