USAC election board issues campaign, finance-related sanctions

By Jacob Preal

The undergraduate student government election board sanctioned several candidates between Friday and Monday.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council election board, which oversees spring elections and enforces the election code, investigated 13 complaints and issued a total of six sanctions.

The board issued a sanction to the entire Bruins United slate and one independent candidate for not submitting both their source of funding forms by the deadline.

It issued another to four independent candidates, Nedda Saidian, Malik Flournoy-Hooker, Zahra Hajee and Sayron Stokes, for not submitting both source of funding forms and campaign expense account forms by the deadline.

The code states that all candidates must submit campaign funding reports no more than one week before students can cast their ballots. Candidates will be disqualified in the election if they fail to turn in their expense reports at all. All sanctioned candidates did eventually turn in their forms after the deadline, the election board said.

The board also sanctioned Financial Supports commissioner candidate Aaron Boudaie, external vice president candidate Chloe Pan and general representative candidates Kayla He and Celina Avalos for omitting an approved election board logo in campaign videos. The board ruled that these candidates must add the approved logo to their video posts.

The board said the candidates that failed to submit their source of funding forms on time will be prevented from all campaigning activities from 7 a.m. until 8 a.m. Tuesday morning. Candidates that additionally failed to submit a campaign expense account form will not be able to campaign until 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Voting began at 10 a.m. on May 1 and results are announced May 5 in Meyerhoff Park.

Click here for full coverage of the 2017 USAC elections.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.