USAC recap – April 25

By Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council appointed Rebecca Stark, a fourth-year neuroscience student, to the Community Service Mini Fund, and Monroe Yeung, a third-year history student, to the Judicial Board.
  • The council did not appoint Leann Pham, a second-year psychology and political science student, to the Judicial Board, after a vote of 2-8-1.
  • The council approved a total of $11,255 in allocations to several non-USAC offices, and a total of $750 to USAC offices, from the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • It allocated by consent $3,496.52 from the Student Wellness Programming Fund.
  • The council voted to retroactively approve previous allocations from the past two council meetings, because they did not have enough members present to meet quorum on April 11 and 18. It approved the April 11 allocation of $7,605 to several non-USAC offices and of $650 to USAC offices from the Contingency Programming Fund. It also approved the April 18 allocation of $3,000 to several USAC offices from the Contingency Programming Fund.

Officer reports

• Internal Vice President Sabrina Zeigler said her office is holding an event in Covel Grand Horizon Room on April 26, which will feature earthquake escape rooms and other activities for students to learn about safety.
  • Rafi Sands, external vice president, said he plans to talk with Associated Students UCLA about the possibility of renting the Ackerman Grand Ballroom as a voting space for students during future local, federal or national election days.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Ashly Mohankumar said her office is holding a de-stress event this Wednesday in Dickson Court, and will provide free supplies, such as scantrons and highlighters.
  • Christina Lee, student wellness commissioner, said her office is holding its annual Bruin Health Week, with events scheduled every day from Monday to Sunday. This Sunday, SWC will hold its Bruin Run event to raise awareness and funds for the Chase Child Life Program.
  • Zoe Borden, general representative 1, said she has been working on two of her main platforms. She talked with the IT Office to launch a beta version of the scholarships portal on myUCLA for undergraduates and graduates, she added.
  • Inan Chowdhury, general representative 3, said Sigma C.H.A.I. will hold a discussion on Thursday about how to bridge the gap between South and North campus students.
  • Zack Dameron, community service commissioner, said his office is having its annual Homelessness Awareness Week, and will hold its Homelessness Awareness Concert on Friday, with performances from UCLA dance and a cappella groups.

Announcements

• The council approved the election board ballot.
  • USAC President Danny Siegel said USAC needs to support bylaw changes that required voting ballots to be randomized. The council approved a total allocation of $1000 from the discretionary funding for ballot randomization.
  • The council approved the suggestions for language revision and wording changes for a resolution called the CALPIRG and Climate Reality Renewable Energy Resolution.
  • The council approved bylaw changes for the inclusion of a CSC scholarship endowment, which specifies that community service commissioners can now allocate any surpluses that carry over at the end of the year to the John H. Sarvey & Robert S. Michaels Leadership in Service award.
Yun Kyung (Anny) Kim
Kim is the assistant news editor for the campus politics beat. She was previously a contributor for the beat.