GSA recap – April 19

By Isabella Welch

The Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Global Viewpoint Lounge in Ackerman Union.

Agenda

• David DiTullio, a graduate student representative from the Student Health Advisory Committee, spoke to the forum about a graduate student survey which is used as a resource across campus offices and departments.

• Annie Maxfield, UCLA Career Center associate director for graduate student relations and services, gave a presentation about resources available to graduate students. She announced the Career Center’s graduate student conference, scheduled for May 4, which will offer various informational sessions to aid graduate students as they prepare to graduate and enter the job market.

• Anne Blackstock-Bernstein, GSA Elections commissioner, announced the final GSA election results. She said that out of 11,834 eligible students, 1,077 total ballots were cast. Michael Skiles received 958 votes for president. Alexander Fung received 931 votes for vice president of Internal Affairs. Parshan Khosravi received 920 votes for vice president of Axternal Affairs. Rebecca Katz received 932 votes for vice president of Academic Affairs.

• Blackstock-Bernstein added that the elections board is pleased with the turnout and has approved the votes. The forum then unanimously approved the results. Blackstock-Bernstein also said the elections board will be discussing possible changes to the election rules in the future.

• Patrick Adler, an Associated Students UCLA graduate student representative, presented GSA with a check of $1,352. The funds came from the T-shirt contest sponsored by ASUCLA. They then split the earnings between the Undergraduate Students Association Council and GSA.

Isabella Welch