Technology center on the Hill announces lower printing prices

Tejas Dalvi, a first-year mathematics-economics major, uses the printing stations in the Student Technology Center in Covel Commons. Reduced printing prices in the center went into effect Monday. (Kristie-Valerie Hoang/Daily Bruin)

By Maya McNealis

The Student Technology Center announced a reduction in printing prices Monday that will match Wepa kiosk prices.

In an email sent to students Monday, the Student Technology Center said that prices for single-sided black and white printing and copying decreased by one cent per page. Single-sided color printing and copying prices decreased by 26 cents per page. Double-sided color printing and copying prices decreased by 53 cent per page.

Double-sided black and white printing and copying prices were not reduced.

In addition, scanning and faxing services will be free starting Monday, according to the email statement.

Valerie Vahling, UCLA Housing and Hospitality Services information technology director, said the older leases on the center’s printers result in lower maintenance costs, which allowed the center to reduce prices.

Vahling added the rising popularity of the lower-priced Wepa kiosks encouraged the Student Technology Center to become more competitive by reducing prices.

[Related: Wepa kiosks added to Hill learning centers]

Vahling said the center also plans to add three Wepa printers to the Hill. They will be located at Sunset Village, the learning center at De Neve Commons and The Study at Hedrick. The new printers will only print in black-and-white to increase printing speed, which Vahling said students requested in a survey about printing resources on campus.

Vahling added that although she only receives reports on printer usage once a month, she is optimistic that the reduced prices will increase students’ use of the Student Technology Center.

Maya McNealis