The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.
Comments by public officials
- Niki Svara, operations manager of the Westwood Village Improvement Association, said the association is working on sidewalk reconstruction on Westwood Boulevard down to Weyburn Avenue and fixed some electrical problems with tree lighting in Westwood Village. Svara added the association is working on ways to assist Westwood’s homeless population.
- Lizka Mendoza, Westwood Recreation Center facilities director, said the Westwood Recreation Center Dog Park will be completed in the fall. She added the park will include dirt paths and exercise equipment for visitors to use.
- Lisa Chapman, council president, said she was skeptical about switching the council’s voting practices to an online system because it would leave potential for fraudulent voting and hacking. The council did not make a motion about implementing online voting.
- The board approved a motion to send their suggestions about a conditional-use permit request involving the Janss Dome building to the Los Angeles Design Review Board. The council recommended the restaurant operate with alcohol sales from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m., Sunday through Wednesday and from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m., Thursday through Saturday. The board could not reach an agreement about potential neon signage attached to the building, so they did not make a motion.
- The board approved a motion to co-sponsor a runoff debate between candidates running for the Los Angeles Unified School District Board District 4 seat.
- The board approved a motion to donate $5,000 to the UCLA Community Programs Office Food Closet under the condition that UCLA waives an administration fee of 33 percent of the donation. Should UCLA decide not to waive the fee by April 19, the council will keep the funds and donate them to another Westwood group.