The Quad: How student lifestyle factors affect our appetites

It may be sleep deprivation that leads you to reach for a greasy meal from In-n-Out. (Creative Commons photo by Christian Razukas via Wikimedia)

By Brenda Chan

Some days we may have intense cravings for food and are more hungry than usual. On other days, we may feel less hungry. There are many factors that can affect students’ appetites, from stress because of upcoming midterms to the amount of effort required to obtain food. New living situations, such as moving to an apartment, and the accompanying changes in preparation requirements – namely, no longer having access to dining on the Hill – can cause students appetites to shift. All of these factors, however, are ultimately dependent on shifts in hormones.

The two hormones responsible for appetite are leptin and ghrelin. Ghrelin increases our appetite. Our ghrelin levels increase in the time between meals and later decrease after we have eaten. Leptin is the hormone that sends signals to our brains to stop eating, preventing us from overeating when our bodies do not require the energy. Ghrelin and leptin levels can change according to the physiological and environmental factors mentioned.

During midterms and finals season, some people may notice an increase in appetite whereas others may experience a decrease in appetite.

For some people, food is a coping mechanism during times of stress and anxiety due to the pleasure-inducing effects associated with consuming certain kinds of food. Foods high in sugar for example, cause the brain to release dopamine, which is the neurotransmitter that mediates pleasure. Personally, my appetite usually increases when I am under stress because I see food as a way of comforting myself and escaping from my issues.

On the flip side, stress can cause some people to eat less due to a suppressed appetite. The reason why this happens is not yet fully understood. One theory is that stress and anxiety causes stomach acids to be secreted in excess, leading to feelings of nausea and fullness. It could also be possible that when people are busy studying for exams, they simply have too much on their minds to think about food, causing their hunger to diminish.

When I first lived on the Hill as a freshman, I experienced an increase in appetite because I was thrilled about the delicious dining hall food available to me. The buffet-style dining halls also contributed to my increased appetite because I could eat as much food as I wanted.

On the other hand, students living in apartments do not have these dining options. Students who live in apartments have to prepare any food they don’t want to buy from a restaurant themselves, which can require some effort. When students get busy with schoolwork and other commitments, something may have to give and that may be food preparation. On the other hand, they may also become too lazy to prepare meals for themselves. Even those that do bother to cook may get bored of recycling the same student budget-friendly recipes over and over.

Besides stress and the convenience of food, sleep deprivation can also adversely affect one’s appetite. When we are sleep deprived, our ghrelin levels increase while leptin levels drop, which lead to more food cravings and a bigger appetite.

Researchers found that pleasure-seeking centers of the brain were stimulated when individuals were not getting enough sleep, causing them to seek out junk food. This can explain why some people tend to crave fatty foods like chicken tenders from De Neve or gelato from Café 1919 when up late studying. These foods are high in carbohydrates and fats, which provide them with pleasure when consumed as neurochemicals associated with pleasure such as dopamine and serotonin are released.

Appetite is a complex subject as many factors come into play in determining one’s appetite for food. By practicing healthier eating habits, getting an adequate amount of sleep each night and keeping stress levels at a minimum, we can help achieve and maintain a healthy appetite, which ultimately can prevent overeating or undereating and a subsequent variety of health issues.

Brenda Chan
Brenda Chan is a Quad contributor. She likes writing about fitness, nutrition, lifestyle and education.