Around the League: Arizona men’s basketball’s first defeat, Stanford women’s water polo sweeps

Then-No. 13 Oregon hit 16 3-pointers in an 85-58 rout over then-No. 5 Arizona, tying both teams atop the Pac-12 standings. The loss snapped the Wildcats’ 15-game winning streak, while extending the Ducks’ nation-leading home winning streak to 40 games. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam, Michael Hull, and Hanson Wang

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

Men’s basketball
TuAnh Dam, Sports editor

Down went the last undefeated Pac-12 team Saturday. Then-No. 13 Oregon pummeled then-No. 5 Arizona in Eugene, Oregon, 85-58 behind a relentless barrage of 3-pointers. The Wildcats were the only team who had yet to drop a conference game, before falling to the Ducks.

Coach Sean Miller’s squad was one of eight top-15 teams that lost last week, bumping UCLA back into the top 10. The No. 10 Bruins still trail the No. 5 Ducks and the No. 9 Wildcats in the rankings, but with a home game against Oregon coming up Thursday, UCLA will have a chance to climb back into the top five.

Women’s water polo
Michael Hull, assistant Sports editor

No. 1 Stanford (7-0) swept its competition this weekend at the Stanford Invitational, which comprised ranked opponents.

The Cardinal’s Olympic gold-medalist freshman, Makenzie Fischer, led the team with seven goals Saturday when Stanford beat No. 20 Loyola Marymount 19-8 and No. 8 Hawai’i 12-5.

The performance brings her season total to 12 goals, seven less than her Olympic teammate at UCLA, Maddie Musselman. After her offensive outburst, Fischer only scored one more over two games Sunday, tying sophomore Kat Klass for the weekend scoring title.

Klass was one of the Cardinal’s driving forces behind Stanford’s 10-7 win over its rival No. 4 California in both teams’ final game of the weekend. Both Klass and senior Jamie Neushul recorded hat tricks, and the Cardinal offense took center stage from the get-go.

Stanford scored the first four goals of the game. The Bears got even by halftime, but the Cardinal closed on a 6-2 run over the final 21 minutes, according to Stanford Daily.

Men’s tennis
Hanson Wang, assistant Sports editor

The other conference representative in Gainesville, Florida, this weekend for the Pac-12/SEC Showdown, USC men’s tennis, finished with the same results as UCLA.

The No. 8 Trojans (6-1) fell to the No. 11 Florida Gators 4-3 on Saturday and defeated the No. 5 Georgia Bulldogs 4-0 on Sunday.

USC captured the doubles point in both matchups, but lost four consecutive singles matches against Florida. No. 28 Logan Smith, No. 88 Nick Crystal, No. 114 Thibault Forget and unranked Riley Smith all fell in straight sets, but No. 20 Brandon Holt and unranked Jack Jaede won their matches in three sets.

Against the Bulldogs, the Trojans reversed their singles results, as Holt, Jaede and senior Rob Bellamy won in straight sets.

USC will return home for a doubleheader this weekend against UC Davis and the University of San Francisco before traveling to Charlottesville, Virginia, for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships the following week.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.
Michael Hull | Alumnus
Hull joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the men's water polo, women's water polo, women's soccer, track and field and rowing beats.
Hanson Wang | Alumnus
Wang joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2019. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's soccer, men's tennis and women's tennis beats.