Wide receivers coach Eric Yarber leaves UCLA football for LA Rams

By TuAnh Dam

Fresh off a National Signing Day in which UCLA football didn’t add a single wide receiver, the Bruins are reportedly losing their coach at the position.

Wide receivers coach Eric Yarber, who joined the team with head coach Jim Mora in 2012, will leave UCLA for the same position with the Los Angeles Rams, per Bruin Report Online.

Yarber’s wide receivers, including redshirt senior Kenny Walker, senior Darren Andrews and freshman Theo Howard, struggled with consistency last season en route to a 4-8 record.

The Bruins finished 19th in the country in average passing yards per game with 295.6, completing 55.3 percent of their passes.

Yarber, who has previous NFL coaching experience with the San Francisco 49ers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, coached former UCLA standouts Jordan Payton, who set the school record in receptions, and Thomas Duarte, both of whom are now playing professionally.

Yarber is the fourth member of last year’s coaching staff to leave, following offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu’s firing, offensive line coach Adrian Klemm’s firing and quarterbacks coach Marques Tuiasosopo’s move to coach at California.

Minnesota quarterback reunites with Fisch

Adam Weber, a graduate assistant at Minnesota for the past two seasons, was hired by UCLA on Thursday as an offensive analyst. Weber played under Jedd Fisch, the Bruins’ new offensive coordinator, during the 2009 season in Minnesota.

Weber is the Gophers’ all-time passing leader, starting for the team from 2007-2010 and totaling 10,917 yards.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.