Iranian business owners in Westwood discuss effects of immigration ban

Roozbeh Farahanipour, an Iranian immigrant and Westwood restaurant owner, said he thinks the area’s Persian community is split on the issue of President Donald Trump’s travel ban. (Erin Rice/Daily Bruin)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Fred Papen’s late grandfather immigrated to Westwood from Iran in the 1970s, hoping to create his own business.

“My grandfather had one of the first Persian businesses on Westwood Boulevard,” said Papen, whose family runs Saffron and Rose.

A large number of Iranians immigrated to Westwood south of Wilshire Boulevard following the Iranian Revolution in 1979 and formed what some people call “Tehrangeles,” or “Little Persia.” Some of these business owners now think President Donald Trump’s executive order limiting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, including Iran, is unfair to lawful immigrants.

[Related: Professor faced hardships in war-torn Iran, now heads UCLA department]

Papen said his grandfather, of whom he has a portrait of in his shop, initially opened a grocery store in Santa Monica before deciding to open Saffron and Rose on Westwood Boulevard. His father’s ice cream became a hit, and Saffron and Rose ice cream is now sold nationwide.

He said he thinks immigrants from different countries, not just Iran, have contributed to the city and country by opening successful businesses. For example, many UCLA students, Los Angeles residents and tourists visit Saffron and Rose and “Tehrangeles’” restaurants such as Flame Persian Cuisine.

“People like Mexican food, people like Persian food, people like gelato,” Papen said. “We’re going to be missing out on the opportunity to have new businesses.”

Papen said he thinks Trump’s intention is to make the country safer, but the order targets innocent people.

web.ns.littletehranreactions.PicB.ER.jpg
Little Persia was formed when many Iranians immigrated to Westwood south of Wilshire Boulevard after the Iranian Revolution in 1979. One of these businesses include the Jordan Market near Ohio Avenue. (Erin Rice/Daily Bruin)

Farid Khanlou, who owns the Jordan Market near Ohio Avenue, said one of his employees recently got married in Germany, but was detained at the airport because she only had a permanent resident card. The employee was able to return to the country but Khanlou said he is worried Trump might continue to pass unfair legislation.

Khanlou, who immigrated from Iran 40 years ago, said he protested Trump’s order at Los Angeles International Airport last weekend because he thinks it is unfair that many legal residents were unable to return to the country.

“These people have cars, bills, houses, everything here,” he said.

[Related: Grad student hopes to break misconceptions of Iran with travel memoir]

Roozbeh Farahanipour, an Iranian immigrant and owner of Delphi Greek, a restaurant near Wilkins Avenue, said some of his friends were unable to return from Europe following Trump’s executive order.

“Some people had already bought tickets and gotten on a plane only to land and not be able to come in,” he said.

He said he has spoken to many people in the Persian community and finds they are split on the issue – some think the executive order helps security while others say it targets the wrong people.

Farahanipour said though previous United States presidents have placed limits on immigration before, he thinks Trump’s order was rushed and lacked research.

He said the federal government should focus on vetting people and countries tied to terrorist groups instead of immigrants and refugees in general.

“Freedom and liberty aren’t free,” Farahanipour said. “But they should come at a reasonable cost.”

Farahanipour said although people in Los Angeles have shown solidarity with immigrants from the banned countries by protesting at the airport, he accepts the order’s legality. He added he thinks people should fight it through the legal system.

“In this country we have checks and balances, we have the judiciary,” he said. “Judges can help.”

Back at Saffron and Rose, Papen said his business saw many visitors from Iran during the winter break. He said he expects to see less Persian travelers if the travel ban continues.

“America is the definition of an immigrant’s country,” he said. “I’m afraid this executive order is going to take away from that.”

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.