UC Regents preview – Jan. 25-26

The University of California Regents will discuss the California state budget, post-college career planning and campus construction projects. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

The University of California Regents, the governing board of the UC, will discuss tuition increases, undocumented student concerns and President Donald Trump’s administration, among other topics, at its bimonthly board meeting at UC San Francisco on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday

• The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will discuss additional student support services funded by this year’s California state budget. It will also discuss issues concerning undocumented students.
  • The committee will also discuss how to prepare graduate students for more diverse careers after they attain their degrees, and vote to establish a nursing school at UC Irvine.
  • The Finance and Capital Strategies Committee will vote to approve the budgets and plans for various construction projects at UC Riverside, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, the UCLA Anderson School of Management and UC San Francisco.
  • The Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss UC-sponsored state legislation and bills introduced by the last Congress and the Trump administration.

Thursday

• The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will discuss the appointment of a philosophy professor to UC Riverside.
  • The Compliance and Audit Committee will discuss settlements for litigation the UC is involved in.
  • The Finance and Capital Strategies Committee will vote to accept the University’s 2016-2026 Capital Financial Plan, which includes proposed construction projects for the next few years.
  • The board will vote to approve the UC’s budget for next year, which includes a 2.5 percent tuition increase of $282, a 5 percent supplemental tuition increase of $1,332 for nonresident students and a $54 increase in the student services fee.
Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.