UCLA men’s basketball leads Arizona State 54-39 at halftime

Junior forward G.G. Goloman shot two for two from the field and led No. 3 UCLA’s bench in scoring with four points. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Derrek Li

Isaac Hamilton couldn’t beat Arizona State by himself.

Sadly, despite holding a lead for the majority of the half, the Sun Devils finally caught up to the senior guard by halftime.

Arizona State 39, Hamilton 25.

He outscored the Sun Devils 25-23 with about four minutes left in the first half before Arizona State (9-9, 2-3 Pac-12) made a small run heading into the locker room.

However, his teammates were able to pick up the slack and No. 3 UCLA (18-1, 5-1) ran out to a dominating 54-39 halftime lead. The Bruins shot a blistering 62.1 percent from the field and a ridiculous 73.3 percent behind the 3-point line.

Hamilton by himself hit seven 3-pointers on 10 attempts, a week after senior guard Bryce Alford hit nine 3s against Colorado.

On the defensive end, UCLA held Arizona State to 37.8 percent shooting from the field and capitalized by running out on the break after each miss.

The only blemish on what otherwise would have been a perfect half was the nine Bruin turnovers. Yet the miscues didn’t affect the ball movement as UCLA assisted on 14 of its 18 field goals.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.