TV Review: ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’

(Courtesy of Netflix)

"A Series of Unfortunate Events" Netflix Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld Released Friday

By Matthew Fernandez

Dear reader, this article is a rave review of a television series with rather unpleasant content, featuring a gifted actor’s portrayal of a villain, visually appealing set design and a darkly humorous storyline. So if you would rather read less cheerful articles I advise you do so now.

Netflix’s “A Series of Unfortunate Events,” premiered Friday, adapting the first four books of the popular 13-book series into one season. Spread across eight episodes, the television series has more natural pacing and wittier writing than the 2004 film adaptation.

The show’s dark and quirky humor emulates the experience of reading the books while the varied set design and cast’s compelling performances make it a lively way to experience the enchantment of the books.

“A Series of Unfortunate Events” tells the story of Violet (Malina Weissman), Klaus (Louis Hynes) and Sunny Baudelaire (Presley Smith, voiced by Tara Strong) whose wealthy parents and home are destroyed in a mysterious fire. As the orphans are passed to and from the care of relatives they have never heard of, they are pursued by the dastardly Count Olaf (Neil Patrick Harris), whose character is a talentless actor determined to get his hands on the children’s inherited fortune.

[Related: TV review: Season five premiere of ‘Nashville’]

The most striking element of the series is its beautiful set design. As the events of the series alternate from briefly optimistic to dismally bleak, the grand sets reflect the mood. Like something out of a Wes Anderson movie, the designs are an art, ranging from bright pink town houses to Count Olaf’s decrepit grey manor.

The show’s colorful aesthetic compliments its intelligent incorporation of the wittiness, dark humor and irony of the book series. Written by Daniel Handler, who penned the books under the pseudonym Lemony Snicket, the Netflix program expands on the source material.

Minor characters, like Mr. Poe (K. Todd Freeman) are fleshed out, entirely new characters like spy/secretary Jacquelyn (Sara Canning) are introduced and fates of characters only hinted at in the books are revealed. Readers will enjoy the added material which is full of easter eggs and adds new layers to the mysterious storyline. The dialogue is tight and funny and keeps the series at a brisk pace.

“Why do you hate us so much?” Violet asks Count Olaf. His cackling response: “Because it’s fun!” In three words, the audience is given a clear look into the twisted psyche of a greedy murderer and subpar thespian.

Certain elements of the books are left out of the show, for example Sunny’s sword fight against Dr. Orwell. Although it was disappointing to not see these scenes after anticipating them, this did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the show. In fact the adjusted plot adds realism without interfering with overall narrative.

[Related: TV Review: ‘The X-Files’]

As the villainous Count Olaf, Harris, who Handler personally selected for the role, is a great improvement over Jim Carrey’s 2004 rendition.

Harris’ commitment to the role and acting versatility are evident; he embraces the various characters Olaf uses to try to steal the fortune. He transitions from Olaf’s laughably bad attempts at acting to his sinister intelligence when pursuing the Baudelaire children.

His interpretation of the character alone makes the show worth watching.

Patrick Warburton’s deep, gravelly voice as the fictional author and narrator, Lemony Snicket, adds gravitas to the show. The seriousness balances Harris’ humor to remind the audience of the horror and misfortune of the Baudelaire story.

Weissman and Hynes are charming as the elder Baudelaire children; their chemistry with both each other and the other cast members keeps them within the viewers’ sympathy. The CGI used to portray the infant Sunny’s actions is cheesy at first – especially when she throws playing cards into a henchman’s mouth – but becomes easier to swallow as the series goes on.

I am sorry to say that even as a television show, the Baudelaire’s story is not a happy one. However, Netflix’s adaptation of “A Series of Unfortunate Events” is a joy to watch for both fans of the books and those who are new to the story.

The television show proves that even the saddest of tales can bring joy if told with the proper artistic touch.

Matthew Fernandez