Rocket Fizz candy shop opens karaoke lounge in party room

Rocket Fizz, a candy store in Westwood Village, added a karaoke lounge earlier this month. Customers can reserve the room for two-hour periods. (Wesley Hardin/Daily Bruin)

By David Yaghutiel

Westwood residents can sing at a new karaoke lounge in Rocket Fizz, a candy shop on Broxton Avenue.

The karaoke lounge is the newest addition to the candy store’s Rocket Room, a private party room on the store’s second floor. According to store manager Jasmine Termechi, the Rocket Room has been open for private parties since the store’s opening in 2011, but the store just added karaoke equipment to the room this month.

In the past, customers have reserved the room for birthday parties, bachelor parties and corporate team-building events.

Customers can reserve the room for two-hour periods during the store’s operating hours, and the room can accommodate groups of up to 25 people. Customers can reserve the karaoke lounge for $375 for up to 15 people, $415 for up to 20 people, and $445 for up to 25 people.

Termechi said the store opened the lounge as a karaoke space to offer UCLA students and other Westwood residents a fun and different recreational option nearby.

“It’s nice to be able to walk to (fun places) and to not have to schlep all the way downtown for a karaoke night,” Termechi said.

Students said they appreciate having more entertainment options in the Westwood area.

“I sometimes feel like I’m stuck with the same things to do: go to a restaurant, go to the movies or go to the mall,” said Maddy Lauritzen, a third-year communication studies student. “Going to karaoke is something you don’t get to do often.”

The karaoke lounge features five big-screen televisions, two wireless microphones, disco lights and a large selection of songs from all music genres. Every party can be facilitated by an emcee provided by Rocket Fizz. Guests can decorate the room to fit any party theme, Termechi said.

web.ns.rocketfizz.KH.PicB.jpg
The candy store Rocket Fizz wanted to offer an entertainment option for Westwood Village besides theaters and restaurants, so it opened a karaoke lounge earlier this month. (Kristie Hoang/Daily Bruin)

In addition to the karaoke lounge, the Rocket Room also includes a foosball table, a glow-in-the-dark air hockey table and a cotton candy machine. The room can also be arranged to host movie nights and video game competitions, Termechi added.

Even though a few customers have already made reservations for karaoke parties, Termechi said she hopes more UCLA students take advantage of the service.

Natanel Almany, a fourth-year Middle Eastern studies student, said he thinks the karaoke lounge may be a good place for student groups to have social events. He added he thinks the lounge will need to be advertised to students to be successful.

Almany also said he thinks it is unfortunate that there is only one room for karaoke and that the room generally only serves large groups.

Andrew Thomas, executive director of the Westwood Village Improvement Association, said Rocket Fizz is one of his favorite stores in the district and hopes that the karaoke lounge will benefit the store. Even though he does not think the lounge will make a large impact on Westwood as a whole, he said he hopes it will draw more visitors to the area.

“Anything that makes us more of a destination is great,” Thomas said.

David Yaghutiel