UCLA swimming and diving team splashes into new year with tri-meet wins

UCLA swim and dive dominanted in their first event of 2017, defeating Kansas and Boise State and securing 10 first place finishes in 16 total events. (Habeba Mostafa/Daily Bruin)

By Grant Sugimura

UCLA, Kansas and Boise State converged on Spieker Aquatics Center for their first meet of 2017 and one team started off the new year with a dominating performance.

That team was the No. 22 UCLA swim and dive squad.

Out of the 16 total events during the tri-meet on Friday, the Bruins won 10 and defeated the Jayhawks by a score of 202-92 and the Broncos 164-130.

Starting off, UCLA took first place in the first two events – the 200-yard medley relay and the 1000-yard freestyle, but Boise State took the third event, the 200-yard freestyle. The Bruins would go on to take first in seven of the next nine events, including the 100-yard backstroke, 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, 3-meter dive, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard breaststroke and 500-yard freestyle.

The Bruins would stay competitive for the next couple events but failed to take the top spot in them. Their final first-place finish would come in the 1-meter dive.

Up next, UCLA hosts both swim and dive events as Utah swimming comes to visit Friday and the Bruin Diving Invitational starts Friday and continues through Sunday.

Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.