Letter to the Editor: Presidential election will not change UCLA health services, benefits

By and David Baron

Dear UCLA students,

The recent U.S. presidential election has raised questions among some of our students regarding their University of California Student Health Insurance Program and student health services eligibility and benefits. As your dedicated providers of medical and mental health care services on campus, the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center and the Counseling and Psychological Services department feel that it is important for us to provide clarity regarding student health care services and UC SHIP eligibility and coverage.

For UC SHIP, There will be no change in the benefits covered by the UC SHIP insurance plan for the 2016-2017 academic year. Note that the process for determining the scope of coverage for the 2017-2018 academic year will be conducted according to UC SHIP bylaws, exactly as it has been in the past, and will continue to include extensive student representation and input from all participating UC campuses.

There will be no change in the scope of services offered by The Ashe Center or by CAPS, including no change in access to contraception, family planning or STI testing services, for the 2016-2017 academic year. There will also be no change in the eligibility of any student to access services at The Ashe Center or CAPS for the 2016-2017 academic year. We will continue to adhere to the same strict standards of privacy and confidentiality in the rendering of services and the safeguarding of your personal health information that already guide us, in compliance with state and federal laws.

We welcome and encourage you to seek out our professional services. It is our mission to help promote the success and development of all UCLA students by providing you with the safest, state-of-the-art health care programs and services possible.

Wishing you a safe, joyous, meaningful and healthy holiday season,

Nicole Green, Ph.D.

Executive Director of Counseling and Psychological Services and CARE

David Baron, M.D.

Senior Executive Director of the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center

David Baron