In the Cage: Episode IX

By Michael Hull, Brent Troop, and Ishan Ayyalasomayajula

For what could be the final rendition of In the Cage, the men’s water polo writers mustered together a live studio audience. Some laughed, some cried, but all were intent on hearing the forecast for the biggest weekend of all – the NCAA championships.

UCLA’s last national championship came from this weekend last year, and the men’s water polo team wants number 114 to come from this one as well. They’re playing No. 3 California today for the fourth time this year.

What can we expect to see each team do differently, if anything? Can UCLA win as a No. 2 seed and not as a No. 1 seed? Will there be any comparison to the 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors? What will the result mean for the senior class?

Episode IX has it all.

[Related: In the Cage: Episode VIII]

Michael Hull | Alumnus
Hull joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the men's water polo, women's water polo, women's soccer, track and field and rowing beats.
Brent Troop | Alumnus
Troop joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo, softball and swim and dive beats.
Ayyalasomayajula joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2016. He spent time on the men's water polo and women's tennis beats.