UCLA football hopes to redeem dismal record with last game against Cal

UCLA faces off against Cal in the last game of the regular season. No matter the outcome, the Bruins will end the year with its first losing season under coach Jim Mora and the worst since 2010. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

The one-time Pac-12 favorite is now struggling to just qualify for a postseason bowl game.

UCLA (4-7, 2-6 Pac-12) was the pre-season favorite to win the Pac-12 South and contend for a spot in the College Football Playoffs.

Nearly three months later, the Bruins need a win against conference foe Cal (4-7, 2-6 Pac-12) in the regular season finale to boost their chances of securing an invitation to a bowl game with a 5-7 record.

With last week’s 36-14 loss to crosstown rival USC, UCLA failed to reach six wins and an automatic bowl game for the time under coach Jim Mora and the first time since 2010.

Although Friday night losses from ASU and Texas have opened the door for the possibility of one more game, Mora said that the team wasn’t even thinking about the postseason.

“Right now, our focus is solely on Cal. We have to find a way to dig out a win on Saturday and we’ll let that take focus after.” Mora said. “I think for us, it’s about going out and competing to the best of our abilities. We’re not worried about the record, just going out and competing.”

For some players, like senior defensive lineman Takk McKinley, the game in NorCal is bigger than just a game.

McKinley, who grew up in Richmond, California, sees the game as a homecoming and a second senior-game after last week’s ceremony at the Rose Bowl.

The defensive lineman had committed to Cal out of high school before being ruled academically ineligible to play. McKinley eventually transferred to UCLA with the help of defensive line coach Angus McClure and is ranked in the top 10 nationally for tackles for loss and sacks per game.

“For me it’s going back home, all my family and friends, it’s seeing me one more time. To get to play one last time in the Bay Area is a blessing.” McKinley said. “I have to have (emotions) under control on Saturday. I’m going to be pretty pumped playing against Cal in my last and final game. But you can’t do too much. You have to be under control and go out there and ball out.”

McKinley started the season with the self-proclaimed goal of becoming the nation leader in sacks.

Although he was limited in early games with a groin injury – even sitting out in the Bruins’ home opener against UNLV – the senior trails the top spot by four tackles.

He plans to get five or six Saturday afternoon against a team that puts up an average of 514.7 yards per game.

Despite being one of the top teams on the offensive side of the ball, the Golden Bears are one of the worst defensive teams in the country, giving up 541.8 yards an outing.

In a match-up of a struggling Bruin offense and an inconsistent Cal defense, the UCLA players don’t care how they get the win – just that they end a disappointing season with just their fifth win.

“Just win. Just win Saturday. That’s the idea,” said junior linebacker Kenny Young. “We need to do our best on our part, it’s not about who we play. The opponent doesn’t matter at the end of the day.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.