UCLA women’s volleyball falls 3-1 to Washington in key Pac-12 match

Although redshirt junior Ryann Chandler has one more year of eligibility, the setter announced that she will not come back to play next year. Chandler had 19 assists and 7 digs in Wednesday’s loss to Washington. (Tianyi Ruan/Daily Bruin)

By Kelsey Angus

This post was updated Nov. 23 at 11:00 p.m.

The Bruins weren’t sure about a call that put the Huskies up 16-13 in set four.

Captain and senior libero Taylor Formico went to lobby with the referee, prompting a meeting between two Pac-12 officials that almost put UCLA down by one instead of down by three.

But the play stood, and the Bruins would only score two more points the rest of the match en route to a 3-1 loss in Seattle on Wednesday night.

No. 8 UCLA (23-6, 14-5 Pac 12) couldn’t come up with a win over No. 7 Washington (25-4, 15-4) that would have given the Bruins their first a share of the top spot in the Pac-12 since 1999.

The Bruins haven’t beat the Huskies on the road since 2003, and a 25-11 first-set loss didn’t suggest that this time would be any different. Washington led the Pac-12 in attendance this season.

“I think overall we let the surrounding environment leading up to this game affect our play,” said senior middle blocker Claire Felix. “I think that just brought some nerves on.”

Washington never trailed and hit .600 with just one error compared to UCLA’s .000 in the Bruins’ most lopsided set loss of the season. Formico said that the Huskies were winning the serving and passing game.

“We came out flat and nothing was working out for us,” said Formico. “Every ball they were touching was coming out for them and everything was pulling their way. They were kind of in a groove, and got us back on our heels.”

The Huskies’ Courtney Schwan alone recorded as many kills – seven – in the first set as the entire Bruins’ team did. Both senior pin hitter Jordan Anderson and senior middle blocker Jennie Frager finished the set with negative hitting percentages.

Washington jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the second set, but this time UCLA fought back with a 9-2 run of their own to bring the score within one.

The Bruins fell back again, trailing 22-16. But three kills apiece from Anderson and freshman pin hitter Torrey Van Winden pushed UCLA through a 9-0 run to steal set two and tie the match. Formico said that the Bruins stole the second set.

“To be honest, (Washington) collapsed. I think Taylor served tough and we made some good plays, but I think they showed that they were human also,” said coach Michael Sealy. “It was just a battle back and forth. It was like a street fight.”

UCLA finally found its hitting groove by the middle of the second set with no Bruin posting a negative hitting percentage on the set.

The third set was much closer, and neither team ever led by more than three points.

With score was tied 22-22, the Washington serve looked long, but Formico didn’t want to risk it. The Bruins sent a freeball back over the net on that play, and the Huskies’ Tia Scambray pounded the ball right back over the net to give her team the lead. UCLA wouldn’t score another point, falling 25-22.

“From 15 on we had opportunities, but playing in a match, a caliber match like that against a team like that, you gotta take care of your opportunities and we didn’t,” Sealy said.

Although the Bruins lost the set, they began to find success at the middle with Felix’s slides. Felix recorded three kills on five attempts in the set.

The fourth set began similarly to the third, but Washington gained momentum after the controversial call that prompted Formico to speak with the referees.

The referee made the call that a Bruin blocker touched Schwan’s hit before it went out of bounds, and the call stood even after the referees conferred with each other and Formico.

The Bruins never rallied back after that stoppage in play and the Huskies took the set 25-15 and the match 3-1.

“They played with more heart and fire and they made the easy plays,” Formico said. “They wanted it, and they played together more, and that’s kind of what it came to at the end.”

Washington has guaranteed at least a share of the Pac-12 title, but UCLA’s chance at a piece of the championship is still alive. The Bruins will have to beat USC, a team on the bubble of making the NCAA Tournament, this Saturday and also need the Huskies to lose to rivals Washington State.

Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.