Broken water main in Westwood Village floods Kelton, Midvale

A broken water main flooded Kelton Avenue early Tuesday morning. (Amy Dixon/Daily Bruin)

By Madeleine Pauker

This post was updated Nov. 22 at 11:13 a.m.

A water main broke near Midvale and Landfair Avenues early this morning.

The main flooded Midvale Avenue between Landfair Avenue and Ophir Drive. It also flooded Kelton Avenue between Gayley Avenue and Strathmore Drive, and water continued to run onto Veteran Avenue.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power is repairing a six-inch pipe near 433 Midvale Ave., according to an LADWP spokesperson. Workers will analyze the pipe’s weaknesses.

Westwood Chateau, a nearby university apartment building on 456 Landfair Ave. has not had running water since at least 7:30 a.m., according to the University Apartments Administration Office.

Jesse Dela Cruz, a fourth-year economics student, said the power in his 510 Midvale Ave. apartment went out for 15 minutes.

“I looked out the side of my balcony and was shocked by how much water there was,” Dela Cruz said.

Matthew Navarrette, a fourth-year political science and anthropology student, also said he experienced a power outage in his apartment.

Contributing reports by Emaan Baqai, Daily Bruin senior staff.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.