UCLA coaches share their takes on crosstown rivalry

(Burcu Turkay/Daily Bruin)

By TuAnh Dam

It’s rivalry week and UCLA is taking on USC at the Rose Bowl on Saturday night for bragging rights.

But it’s not just a football rivalry.

The crosstown showdown encompasses everything from sports like swim and dive to men’s water polo to recruiting some of the top athletes around the country.

“You’re kind of brought up either loving UCLA or USC, so … it’s easy for somebody to take a side when it comes to those two teams playing,” said men’s tennis coach Billy Martin. “So we’ve always had great crowds and great support on both sides throughout the years and it’s made it super, super special for the coaches, the players, the spectators. It’s always more fun to win than to lose.”

Around Westwood, the saying is “Bruin born, Bruin bred,” but UCLA’s sophomore tennis player Max Cressy grew up in a house divided.

His mom, Leslie Cressy, played on the USC women’s volleyball team and led it to two national championships before moving to France.

When Max Cressy was growing up, closets in the Cressy household were well stocked with cardinal-red hats and T-shirts, and Leslie Cressy frequently reached out to USC tennis coach Peter Smith when Max Cressy began the recruiting process.

His older brother went to Troy, but Max Cressy broke tradition and his mom’s heart when he committed to Martin and the Bruins as a junior in high school.

“This a really big rivalry for my family, and every time there is a football game, it’s really exciting to watch it with my family or with my brother,” Max Cressy said. “My mom and I always agreed that she would always be for me for tennis and she would cheer for USC all the time for football, so she’d never like, make up her mind to try to support UCLA in any other sport or event. She’s the president of the alumni club in Paris.”

Max Cressy is not the only one who’s grown up and spent time around the rivalry.

More than 40 coaches on both sides of town have been around the Trojans and the Bruins for years, dating back to their undergraduate years.

The excitement, passion and intensity of the rivalry hasn’t waned over the years, with coaches fiercely loyal to their alma mater.

Here are some of the coaches’ takes on the historic battle for Los Angeles.

web.truc.sp.mwp.wright.JHan.jpg
(Jintak Han/Assitant photo editor)

Adam Wright, men’s water polo:

Coach Adam Wright has led UCLA past USC in eight of the last nine games, including the championship games in 2014 and 2015. The Bruins have the 83-78-1 overall edge in head-to-head games.

“The history is the history in any sport here. Even if we were playing pingpong it would be competitive,” Wright said. “It used to be when I was playing, the games would be around the football games, so it was like the whole ‘SC week. Water polo played the same time as football and it was a pretty special week on campus here. The biggest thing is you get a conference opportunity once every year to play your crosstown rival. We have all the respect in the world for them; they’ve been the program to beat for a long time now.”

web.truc.sp.fb.polamalu.BT.jpg
(Burcu Turkay/Daily Bruin)

Kennedy Polamalu, football:

Offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu has been on both sides of the rivalry as a player and coach at USC and now at UCLA.

But Polamalu says despite the fun experience for him, the focus this week is on his players.

“It’s not about me, it’s about these young men. I want them to enjoy the experience. It’s fun for me at home because my wife is a UCLA grad. She always teases me this week. She kicks me out of the room. But it’s not about me, it’s about these kids and it has always been that way. This is a fun experience. It’s two schools in LA – you can’t stop running into each other. Just have fun with it, compete, whatever happens, it’s on our side. It’s a fun week.”

web.truc.sp.mtennis.martin.KC.jpg
(Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

Billy Martin, men’s tennis:

Coach Billy Martin won an NCAA team and singles championship as a freshman at UCLA before turning pro.

The coach earned his MBA from USC but returned to coach his alma mater in 1993.

Last season, the Bruins swept the Trojans to boost their record over the cross town rivals 77-47.

“Well, it’s something special and unique, I don’t really experience that in anything else other than when these two teams compete in any sport, whether it be tennis, football or basketball. It pits next-door neighbor against next-door neighbor – I mean I have so many good friends that are Trojans, literally one right next door to me so we’re always jousting back and forth in good nature. But still, when it comes to game time, everyone likes to think that their school and their alma mater won the contest.”

web.truc.sp.wvb.sealy.JHan.jpg
(Jintak Han/Assistant photo editor)

Michael Sealy, women’s volleyball:

UCLA women’s volleyball is going for the season sweep against USC next weekend in their final conference game of the season.

Despite the proximity, coach Michael Sealy doesn’t think of the Trojans as his team’s main rival.

“I’m definitely not the guy you want on that,” Sealy said. “I don’t buy any of that rivalry (stuff). I don’t have any quotes for that. They, they weren’t our big rivals.”

web.truc.sp.mvb.speraw.file.picB.jpg
(Daily Bruin file photo)

John Speraw, men’s volleyball:

“If you’re playing at UCLA or USC and you’re not having the season you’d hope to have, one thing you can do is walk away with your head up a little bit if you beat the crosstown rival,” said coach John Speraw last year before a rivalry game.

Speraw not only led the Bruins to two national championships as a player but also notched an 8-0 record against the Trojans while in Westwood. As a coach, Speraw continued dominating the rivalry guiding his alma mater to a 5-2 overall record against USC including a season sweep last year.

web.truc.sp.wtennis.webster.file.jpg
(Daily Bruin file photo)

Stella Sampras Webster, women’s tennis:

UCLA and USC have been perennial powerhouses since before Stella Sampras Webster suited up for the Bruins. The head-to-head matchup is nearly dead-even with the Bruins holding a slight 51-49 edge.

Each showdown holds postseason implications with both teams continually challenging for national championships each year.

“They all know what’s at stake,” said Sampras Webster before a showdown with the Trojans last season. “We never want to lose to USC. I expect (my players) to come fired up with lots of energy, particularly in doubles.”

web.truc.sp.wwp.brooks.KMay.jpg
(Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Brandon Brooks, women’s water polo:

Brandon Brooks and the UCLA water polo programs have gone head-to-head with USC countless times over the decades.

The women’s water polo team is 47-24 against the Trojans, but were swept last season.

This year with Olympians Rachel Fattal and Maddie Musselman in the line up, the Bruins have the fire power to challenge the defending NCAA champions.

“The big games, the rivalry games, the championship games – all those games are, in my opinion, what you train for,” Brooks said last year before facing USC. “You train to be ready in the big moment. You train to be confident that you can perform when you need to perform. The bigger the challenge, the bigger the thrill.”

web.truc.sp.swim.gallagher.file.jpg
(Daily Bruin file photo)

Cyndi Gallagher, swimming and diving:

Coach Cyndi Gallagher has been at the helm of the UCLA swim program since 1988 after graduating as an All-American in 1983. The long-time coach recounts one of her most memorable meets against the USC swim team.

“USC walked in like they owned the place, and we were so livid, and we beat them. They were just so arrogant, so ‘SC. And I have a lot more ‘SC stories … they put bears when we go to their pool, and that’s like okay, but on our pool? And the men’s team’s there, and they trash-talk us. Like our sport doesn’t trash-talk. Who are you trash-talking? So it’s really a lot of distractions when we swim them, but it’s good, it’s a good test. We have Bruin pride and want to win and all that.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.