Men’s basketball leads Long Beach 56-37 at halftime

Freshman guard Lonzo Ball dished out eight assists to go with 14 points as UCLA took the early 56-37 lead against Long Beach State. The Bruins had 15 assists on 23 baskets. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Derrek Li

After two straight slow starts in the past week, UCLA came out of the gates sharp and aggressive.

The Bruins jumped out to a 19-5 lead over the Long Beach State 49ers and didn’t look back, finishing with a 56-37 lead in the first half. The UCLA defense held Long Beach State to 40.6 percent shooting while forcing 13 turnovers, including four travel calls.

Freshman guard Lonzo Ball attacked early and often, assisting on the first three Bruin field goals of the night before racing out to a fast-break layup. He finished the half with 14 points, eight assists and another potential SportsCenter Top 10 alley-oop finish that electrified the crowd.

UCLA as a team shared the wealth, handing out 15 assists on 23 field goal makes en route to 63.9 percent shooting.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.