Open Letter: UCLA and USC fans should maintain mutual respect during rivalry game

By Monroe Gorden and Ainsley Carry

An open letter to the UCLA and USC communities:

The historic rivalry between UCLA and USC is one of the greatest traditions in college football, with enthusiasm building long before the game. This year the great rivalry game will take place Nov. 19 at the Rose Bowl. Although we wear different colors and root for opposing teams, UCLA and USC stand together in our wish that this weekend’s game will be a safe, respectful and fun experience for all of our students and fans.

Fans from all over Los Angeles and beyond will be watching this Saturday. We are confident Trojans and Bruins alike will display the very best of the UCLA and USC spirit. We expect everyone to show sportsmanship and respect for others, for their universities and, most importantly, for themselves.

Saturday’s game will be an important occasion to show fans everywhere what it means to be part of world-renowned research and athletic powerhouses such as UCLA and USC. Regardless of the outcome on the field, we all win as supporters when we display the best of our school spirit.

So have a fantastic time at the big game. And go Bruins! Fight on Trojans!

Sincerely,

Monroe Gorden Jr., UCLA interim vice chancellor for student affairs

Ainsley Carry, USC vice president for student affairs

Monroe Gorden