UC regents’ meeting to focus on federal funding for higher education

The University of California Regents will meet Wednesday and Thursday for their bimonthly board meeting at UC San Francisco. (Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By Maya McNealis

The University of California Board of Regents will discuss the effect of president-elect Donald Trump’s higher-education funding policies on UC students and its annual UC Accountability Report, among other topics, at its meeting on the UC San Francisco Mission Bay campus Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday

• The Compliance and Audit Committee will discuss updates to the UC Travel Abroad Security and Response Program, and evaluate the UC’s response to tragedies such as the Nice, France attack in July that affected some students studying abroad during the 2015-2016 school year.
  • The Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss upcoming state legislation’s possible impact on UC federal research funding. Federal research funding currently accounts for about 10 percent of all grants issued by the federal government and amounts to more than $3 billion.
  • The Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss continuing its efforts to improve faculty diversity across the UC system, and will review policies the committee voted on in 2015.
  • The Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss how Congress’ decision not to reauthorize the Higher Education Act will impact the UC.
  • The Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss president-elect Donald Trump’s priorities regarding student financial aid, federally funded research and federally funded healthcare programs.
  • In particular, the Public Engagement and Development Committee will discuss amendments to the federal financial aid program the Pell Grant, which is receiving bipartisan support in Congress and will likely be expanded to a year-round program. The grant will provide students with year-round financial aid to assist them in graduating on time.
  • The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will discuss improving college readiness in the California public school system, and will also examine demographic trends in California, including projections for 2040.
  • The Finance and Capital Strategies Committee will hold a preliminary discussion of the 2017-2018 University budget and will examine enrollment growth and continued investment in academic quality.
  • The Finance and Capital Strategies Committee will also submit a three-year financial stability plan in accordance with the California State Budget Act of 2016.
  • The Governance and Compensation Committee will vote on an amendment to the UC Regents’ board education policy in response to UC Regent Norman Pattiz’ sexual harassment of a former employer. The amendment will require regents to participate in a sexual harassment prevention training program bi-annually.

[Related: Sexual harassment by UC regent faces backlash from Bruin community]

Thursday

• The Board of Regents will present officer and president reports on personnel matters and committee actions.
  • The board will also host an open session that includes a section for public comments on topics discussed Wednesday.

Maya McNealis