Sophomore midfielder Jose Hernandez named Co-Pac-12 Player of the Year

On Tuesday, sophomore midfielder Jose Hernandez was named Co-Pac-12 Player of the Year. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Grant Sugimura

On Tuesday in San Francisco, the Pac-12 announced it’s All-Conference award winners. In a field heavily inundated by Stanford talent, UCLA did take home one big prize – sophomore midfielder Jose Hernandez was named Co-Pac-12 Player of the Year.

He shared the honor along with Stanford’s Foster Langsdorf. The junior forward became the second consecutive Cardinal to be named Player of the Year, and just the fourth Cardinal in the program’s history to receive the title.

In his sophomore campaign this fall, Hernandez has started in all 18 games and is second on the team in both goals and assists with four and six, respectively, leading the Bruins to their 34th-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance.

Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.